Sunday, August 31, 2014

U.S. Open--what they said

What do you do well on these faster courts?
I like to run....
Sara Errani
 
Can you remember winning, the last time you won six matches in a row?
It's been a little while. It's been a little while. Today I felt like my body just wasn't willing to--it wasn't willing, but it just kind of broke down a little everywhere. I have blisters, tapes, pain everywhere in my body, so I burned out a little bit today.
Mirjana Lucic-Baroni
 
She's competing better than she's playing....
Mary Carillo, referring to Maria Sharapova

She's very good at getting a lot of balls back and making you hit another one. In the end, I went for a little too much.
Maria Sharapova

You said her service was slow. Did you...
You want me to say something I really don't want to say because you want to write something fun, but I'm not going to do that.
Why not?
Because I'm a fair competitor. She plays the way she plays and she fights well. You know, she had five winners in the whole match and missed maybe three balls. You know, she runs and she fights hard. That's the way it is. I wish her good luck. Respect.
Mirjana Lucic-Baroni

Way back when you did all that training with boxing and then obviously you were around the golf world for quite a while and now the marathon, in a word, what do you learn from each of those three and which of those three benefits tennis the most?
Well, I think it's very different. You know, now I'm running the marathon. It's hard work. You know, I run a lot already in my training, so to put those extra miles in, I think it helps my head. Kind of clears my head. I feel more free when I go on court. The boxing, I love the boxing. It's so tough. You know, I always get killed during that training, but, you know, it makes me stronger and I know I can push myself really far. You know, the golf is obviously a mental sport. Sometimes it's the small putts that can make a huge difference. You make a few putts here and there. Again, same with tennis. You make a ball here, there. You know, important points, those are the ones that count.
Caroline Wozniacki

I need to start the point where I want. So sometimes is better for me to serve not that fast, because if you serve fast the ball is coming faster. So I try not to hitting that fast. I try to change a bit the direction and be ready for making the point on the baseline.
Sara Errani

No comments: