Friday, July 5, 2013

Wimbledon--what they said

...nobody gets to a Wimbledon final by accident. Bartoli might look all wrong, but so far the outcome couldn’t be more right.
Kate Battersby

I never go into a tournament thinking I can't win it.
Taylor Townsend

She's the favorite for me. She's playing the best tennis of her life.
Virginia Wade, commenting on Marion Bartoli

Radwanska plays with such intelligence that they ought to scrub out the tennis court markings and paint the lawn with 64 black and white squares.
Simon Barnes

Well, I don’t think I will have the whole crowd against me. At the end of the day, she’s not British, as far as I know.
Marion Bartoli, referring to crowd favorite Sabine Lisicki

I would rather play badly and win the match than lose after that one.
Agnieszka Radwanska

She was my biggest hero, but now I think I know her well. We see each other at the Grand Slams. I’m really honored that she sometimes comes to my matches and she tells me what I can do better.
Belinda Bencic, referring to Martina Hingis

Imagine, for a second, the reaction of either if they win. I doubt we’ll forget it anytime soon. Lisicki may dissolve into one big tear--if she can lift herself off the grass, that is. Bartoli will...God knows what Bartoli will do, but I’d love to see it.
Steve Tignor

No comments: