Thursday, May 30, 2013

French Open--what they said

I was a little bit surprised the way she's hitting on the court. Well done for her.
Li Na

I knew she wasn't going to give it to me.
Bethanie Mattek-Sands

I haven't done too well with the delays. During the first wait I played on my phone, in the second I went to sleep. You literally have nothing to do. Should I eat? Do cartwheels? You have no idea. Last week in Brussels I had my nails done, and went and made chocolate. Then I played a match on the same day-- chocolate. Obviously the nails and chocolate weren't a good combination.
Sloane Stephens

She looked a little like a 1930s newsboy. But instead of delivering newspapers, Mattek-Sands delivered the biggest upset of this year's French Open so far by beating the 2011 champ 5-7, 6-3, 6-2..
Jim Caple

This is is not about tennis, it’s about something inside, and in this tournament I found something in myself.
Zuzana Kucova, bidding farewell to her care

I had a lot of food allergies, and it made a world of difference when I switched that up.
Bethanie Mattek-Sands

I usually have a song in my head.
During the whole match?
Between points or at a change of ends. Or if they play music at the change of ends or the U.S. Open, I have the song in my head for the next two games.
And it doesn't hurt your concentration?
No, it's actually a way for me to know if I'm concentrated or not. But if I'm good, I can look at people in the crowd, I can tell you who ate what, who drank what. It's pretty amazing.
Marion Bartoli

1 comment:

sabey said...

Great win for Bethany but not that surprising given the way she has been playing and what she is capable of!