Saturday, June 9, 2012

French Open--what they said

I have a lot more in me to achieve. I believe in my game. I think that's one of the reasons that that's why I'm sitting here with my fourth one and winning Roland Garros, is because I always believed I could be better, I could be a better player, whether it was on clay, whether it was on grass, whether it was on cement, anything, I always strive to be better.
Maria Sharapova

You realize now, that your life is going to change?
I hope it doesn't change. I like this life.
Sara Errani

...Maria thanks the crowd--in French! They love her even more now! She mentions her whole team, with thanks for them in English, Spanish and Russian.
Drew Lilley

What was your most embarrassing moment on court?
Oh, that’s easy! It was during the finals here at Roland Garros when I went back out on the court crying with my mom for the trophy ceremony. Embarrassing, wouldn’t you say? Otherwise, I always find it a bit awkward to see photos where you can see up my skirt.
Martina Hingis

When I was young, I always wanted to compete against you, and I did, and I lost--really bad.
Maria Sharapova, to Monica Seles

You speak a lot about Maria's service. Is it something you that you can improve now to go further?
Yes, I'm trying to improve it always.  I know it's not my best shot, so with this player in the top, of course is a bad thing for me. I try always. All the day I try to improve it, but it is not easy for me. I know it. I just to keep work on it, but know that I will never maybe serve it like Maria or like other players in the top. So I have to live with that, try to improve it the best that I can, but knowing that it's not my best shot.
Sara Errani

She's the only commentator who could still win this.
John McEnroe, referring to Justine Henin

I had so many outs in my career. I could have said, I don't need this. I have money; I have fame; I have victories; I have Grand Slams. But when your love for something is bigger than all those things, you continue to keep getting up in the morning when it's freezing outside, when you know that it can be the most difficult day, when nothing is working, when you feel like the belief sometimes isn't there from the outside world, and you seem so small. But you can achieve great things when you don't listen to all those things.
Maria Sharapova

No comments: