Friday, June 24, 2011

Passing shots at Wimbledon

Maria Sharapova, knowing she was going to play the left-handed Laura Robson in the second round, asked Martina Navratilova to hit with her, but Navratilova's television commentator duties made that impossible. The two have hit together in the past.

My favorite tennis outfit so far was Ekatarina Makarova's, but we saw so little of it.

Calling Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez "Quatro Maria" and Richard Gasquet "Dicky Gasket" isn't funny (just as calling Yanina Wickmayer "Wicker Chair" wasn't the least bit funny). There is nothing clever about calling a 123 mph. serve "a buck 23." To quote Brad Gilbert himself, "Alls I can say is": Stop it!

Check out the photo of Francesca Schiavone.

Elena Baltacha says she hasn't peaked yet. I hope not. Baltacha has had some really bad breaks in her career. It's nice to see her doing so well.

What could be more charming to see than a blushing Petra Kvitova interviewed by her idol, Martina Navratilova?

I scratch my head about Maria Kirilenko, too.

4 comments:

svente said...

On Gilbert: I'm not sure if I saw more tennis today, if he was particularly verbose or just more annoying than usual but I found myself clenching my teeth and muttering "oh, shut it Brad"over and again. Heh...

He's that insecure person who compensates by trying, and usually failing, to be funny.

Todd Spiker said...

I don't disagree with svente. I often say the same thing under my breath, or at least roll my eyes at Gilbert.

Although, I have to admit, I DID laugh when he called Richard Gasquet "Dickie Gasket" the other day. :)

Wayne said...

Ahhh annoying commentators... one of my favourite topics.

We at the BBC are blessed with the dubious charms of Greg Rusedski, Andrew Castle and possibly the dullest person on earth - Tim Henman. Tracy Austin, Johnny Mac and Virginia Wade have all been on fine form. Lindsay Davenport is ok but not in the same league as Martina Navratilova. I haven't heard Chris Evert yet, I thought she was working for the beeb this year ? And I miss the New Yaark drawl and rapier wit of Peter Fleming.

HAMPER said...

Dicky Gasket is funny. I use the term myself. Also in the US, we Say A Buck 23 for 123. Common expression.